A lesson in Pokemon

I have been educated on Pokemon Go.  Apparently pink stuff floating around is a lure.  It means someone playing has put up a 'thingy' on the web to lure a pokemon to appear.  What happens in reality is people appear.

This is a spot with a lure on the map on the Pokemon screen





This is the spot in reality.  People huddled in the one spot waiting for the pokemon to appear.



Mr Him and I found a lure outside Cineworld after our education.   Bubbles appeared floating around Mr Him's head, which was the intial give away that we had walked into a lure.  A group of adults and teens huddled was the other clue.  

Mr Him was astounded at the 4D nature as he swiped away bubbles that landed on him.  His brain started whirring and his mouth verbalised all sorts of possibilities,  beer lures, money lures, beer lures again, and oh, beer lures.  I didn't tell him that I had seen  a child walking past blowing bubbles from a bottle.  Mr Him is taking a fast course in app designing as I type.  It's keeping him occupied. 


14 comments:

  1. I'm sure I'm not the only one, but does it not seem sad to see people waiting for a pretend creature to appear on an app on their phone. What happened to living in our beautiful real world. But then I am not a online game played in any form.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest, its more real world then one would imagine. The player has to walk to locations. The game cannot be played in their bedroom.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like and fun time almost like virtual fishing. I only have a dumb phone all it does is make phone calls so can do that, but now the beer lures would be interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm finding out its a combination of virtual and real. I am issuing a follow up blog on next week. Watch this spot.

      Delete
  3. It sounds addictive and fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, there's a lot of other things I'd preferred to be lured by too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, you know what I think. People were playing it in our local park last weekend, not looking where they were going, staring into their phones and ignoring the blue sky, the trees, the lake, the geese. Someone I vaguely know was playing it and offered to teach me the game, showing me the collection of Poke-balls he had won. To which I replied "Oh what a lot of balls". I don't think he saw the irony.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose there's two types of player, the one who is screen locked and the other that is using it for exercise and to learn about their area. My follow up blog next week will show something about that.

      Delete
  6. I don't understand any of this phenomenon. It's probably better that way. But I do know that your post has brought me several smiles and giggles, so thanks for explaining it to we the uninitiated, Anna. Hopefully this will be just a flash in the Pokepan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it will lose its thrill soon as players get fed up with walking around town getting exercise.

      Delete
  7. I, too, needed an explanation. My phone isn't so smart and I forget to turn it on most of the time. I got caught up in the FARMVILLE craze a few years ago.. became addicted... had to get off it cold turkey. Guess I'll skip the Pokemon phenomena and stick with watching birds. But I'm always curious about what's going on with others....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems a bit like virtual geocaching as the player has to go to a location physically to collect items.

      Delete

Mr Him adops a Racing pigeon and Miss 26 looks for an Apartment in the year that never was

How are you all?  I thought I would catch up by sharing a series of vlogs that I made during the year that never was.  Here is one from the ...